From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Jefferson-Phoenician DNA
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 09:09:31 -0700 (PDT)

Ken:

Yes, I completely agree. The publicity factor without
any real scientific data is of concern.

For those of you who pull up the National Geographic
site for Phoenician DNA info, here's an intriguing bit
of information that's really not brought out much on
the site. Basically, the site mentions the
Phoenicians as genetically connected to the
Canaanites. While the tradition has been that many
Middle Eastern populations came from the "outside,"
including the Sea Peoples known as the Phoenicians,
archaeology is revealing more and more that their
traditions grew out of local developments rather than
being brought in by outside groups (at least one
exception to this, however, in the Middle East is
probably the Philistines). The debate is rather
similar to that over the Celtic peoples of the British
Isles - local development or outside influence? In
any case, the Phoenicians spoke a Canaanite language
closely related to Punic, Hebrew, Ammorite, Moabite &
Edomite. Basically, languages that were spoken in
ancient Syria and Israel. Archaeologists (William
Devers, for example) has revealed in his excavations
that the ancient Israelite kingdom also grew out of
mixture of urbanized and rural Bronze Age Canaanite
groups as well. So what you basically have with the
National Geographic study is an attempt to trace the
genetic development of one subset of ancient Canaanite
descendants - the Phoenicians. I would think (though
this is purely speculative) that they will simply find
close ties to modern-day populations in the northern
Levant, including Syria, Jordan, Israel, and to a
certain extent, areas of significant Phoenician
settlement.

But how do you get from this study attempting to
pinpoint the genetic background of the Phoenicians, to
stating that Jefferson was of Phoenician descent??

Ellen Coffman

This thread: