From: "William Hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] P25
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:32:40 -0400

David wrote:

> I fear that some are going to make the leap from recent reported findings
> and assume that they are R1b1c. This is entirely unacceptable in my view.
> Unless one is tested specifically for M269 then they are guessing. FTDNA
> tests for P25 only. Virtually all of the R1b in Y search etc. comes from
> guesswork and probability assumptions based for example on matches in the
> FTDNA Haplogroup database. I am as guilty as the rest since I placed
> "R1b" there prior to being tested for P25 or M269. There needs to be a
> way to indicate clearly whether one was SNP tested and by which lab.
>
> Recently our lab tested 8 people for M269 (myself included) and all were
> positive for this marker. As far as I know only they have the "proper
> authority" to put R1b1c into Ysearch. In a few days I will provide
> details as to >how other people can have this or virtually any published
> SNP marker tested.

If 8 have tested for M269, including you, someone is in R1b1c on ysearch who
has not so tested, since you are still in R1b.

I do notice that of the 8, no two seem to be at all close on genetic
distance. Again, we will have to get further down than M269 before we get
useful genealogical connections.

Am I the only one who looks at the pedigree charts on ysearch? I notice that
Dean McGee is one of those now in R1b1c. His chart has an ancestor Samuel
Stover. My, and cousin Ernie's, Hurst family bought land from him in 1793 in
Shenandoah County, VA, and sold it back to the Stover's in 1798. Dean and I
had a good exchange of e-mails on this interesting non-DNA connection
several months ago.

Bill Hurst

This thread: