From: "robert mclaren" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] P25
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:26:25 -0400

David,

I'm not sure I agree with your statement that virtually all of the R1b in Y
Search comes from guesswork and probabililty assumptions. The later yes,
but not guesswork. I have been assigned as R1b by FTDNA based on my STR
results. This was based on comparisons with their database. I also come
out as R1b on Whit's haplogroup predictor. So, I am an R1b with a very
high probability. However, I do agree that SNP testing will remove the
small probability that I am something else (which is why I'm waiting my the
results of my SNP test). I do also agree that there needs to be a way of
seeing how the haplogroup was assigned.

Bob McLaren

and assume that they are R1b1c. This is entirely unacceptable in my view.
Unless one is tested specifically for M269 then they are guessing. FTDNA
tests for P25 only. Virtually all of the R1b in Y search etc. comes from
guesswork and probability assumptions based for example on matches in the
FTDNA Haplogroup database. I am as guilty as the rest since I placed "R1b"
there prior to being tested for P25 or M269. There needs to be a way to
indicate clearly whether one was SNP tested and by which lab.

> Recently our lab tested 8 people for M269 (myself included) and all were
positive for this marker. As far as I know only they have the "proper
authority" to put R1b1c into Ysearch. In a few days I will provide details
as to how other people can have this or virtually any published SNP marker
tested.

> David F.

This thread: