From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Y haplogroup C
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:43:14 -0400

Hi Janet,

You wrote:

> I think this just points out how little we really do know about
> haplogroups. Sorry, I have been paying attention these past 4 years,
> but I am not sure I buy into all this. As Ellen has told us, ancient
> populations may have been comprised of quite a different mix of people.
>
> I have an ancestor supposedly from Scotland, said to be Danish since
> the 1300's, whose descendants are testing C.
>
> I am not understanding how an Australian aborigine got to Scotland. :-)

I'm not sure whether your last sentence was intended to be tongue in
cheek!

Not that I disagree at all with your statement that ancient populations
were made up of a mix of different haplogroups.

But about Y haplogroup C: it is primarily known as a haplogroup typical
of people in the region of Mongolia, and all their relations in Central
Asia and that neck of the woods -- or plains, as the case may be!

The all-too-notorious Genghis Khan was in Haplogroup C. Most of the
conjectures I've heard regarding Europeans in this haplogroup are that
in all probability they arrived with one or another migrating tribe from
Asia. We had some very extensive, detailed discussions of this in past
years on the list. The incursions of mounted warriors from the
steppes, who formed groups of many tribes banded together to seek a
share in the riches of Europe, probably left not a major population
group in Europe, but a sprinkling of their descendents, diminishing as
one goes further west.

Those Sarmatian troops brought to Hadrian's Wall by the Roman Empire,
who have been brought up almost to excess on the list, would have been
reasonable candidates for bringing members of haplogroup C to Scotland.

Hope this is helpful to you,

Bonnie Schrack

This thread: