From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Macro vs. Micro View of Genetic Genealogy
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 19:26:31 -0600

> If you could start any project which would focus light on the
> ydna of the French Swiss, even the French French, or the
> German Swiss and Italian Swiss, that would be very welcome.
> Those regions of Europe are only weakly covered in the best
> of the databases right now; yet I feel some of the most
> archaic and therefore interesting varieties of haplotypes
> for haplogroup I will be found in the alpine area, and as
> far as the area of France is concerned, the present
> databases are just weak in numbers.

I'll second that, rather loudly. Both in early migrations (remember the
Iceman) and within historical times some VERY interesting stuff went on in
that area. It would be most interesting to see what kind of genetic
record it left, especially if - as Ken suggests - some of the earliest
haplotypes of I are there. (Since I seem to be an as yet unidentified
subtype of 'I', I'm a bit interested in this.

> Ken (a fellow mit alum but mtDNA U5b...)

Glen
H-something or other
(my father was an MIT alum - does that count?)

This thread: