From: "William Hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Study of Melungeon and Appalachian people
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:44:12 -0400

> "Jack Goins Research Site"
> Study of Melungeon and Appalachian people
> http://www.jgoins.com
>
> I highly recommend this site. It is facual and extremely well researched.
> Unlike much of what can be found on the Internet that is sensational and
> speculative and should be taken with a large grain of salt.
>
> Janet Crain

Well, Janet, this site was unexpectedly interesting. It is more of a Hawkins
County, TN, site, and since my father was born there, I thought I would look
around. There are civil and criminal court cases. Didn't find my father or
grandparents, but, oops, there under three criminal cases "State of TN v.
Roland Hurst" is my 2nd cousin, twice removed! In 1873 it was for "Unlawful
Selling Liquors." In 1876 and 1877, he was "Gaming." Allegedly selling and
gaming. There's even a DNA connection. After our Hurst results started
coming in a couple of years ago, a few cousins started transcribing and
posting old letters. Cousin Ernie posted one from Roland, who by then had
moved across the river to my home county, Hamblen, years before my father
and grandmother made the move. I've since found Roland's tombstone just a
few miles from where I grew up. Next time I'm down that way, I'll have to
check out the results of the court cases.

Bill Hurst

This thread: