From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] J2 haplogroup
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:47:50 -0400

Hi Martha,

You wrote:

> I entered the STR values received from a 37 Marker DNA test to Whit
> Athey's chart and it showed 24 for J2 which indicates a "fair fit"
> for Haplogroup J2.
>
> Here is the scale that was provided:
>
> E3a 5; E3b 12; G 11; I1a 4; I1b 10; I1c 8; J2 24; N 1; R1a 2; R1b 3
>
> It says that values above 50 indicate a "good fit" in to the group and
> values between 20 and 50 indicate a fair fit. Is it possible that
> that that this person does not fit in to this haplogroup or does a
> rating of a 24 definitely put him in the J2 haplogroup?

I guess you were using the older version of Whit's program? Have you
tested the new Beta version? It may be more accurate.

Although your Parker haplotype (I looked it up in Ysearch -- FKYXD,
right?) has a couple of unusual markers, it does look like J2 to me. It
has all the most important indications of that. And it doesn't have any
particular signs of a subclade that I can identify from the STR markers.

Not everyone who had the results you mention would necessarily be J2.
There are plenty of haplogroups not included in Whit's Predictor, some
of which might get that result. But I do believe this one is J2.

Bonnie Schrack

This thread: