From: Carol Botteron <>
Subject: French Swiss DNA project (Re: [DNA] Macro vs. Micro View ofGenetic Genealogy)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:59:44 -0400

At 7:04 PM -0600 2005-06-27, Ken Nordtvedt wrote:
>Carol,
>
>If you could start any project which would focus light on the ydna of the
>French Swiss, even the French French, or the German Swiss and Italian Swiss,
>that would be very welcome. Those regions of Europe are only weakly covered
>in the best of the databases right now; yet I feel some of the most archaic
>and therefore interesting varieties of haplotypes for haplogroup I will be
>found in the alpine area, and as far as the area of France is concerned, the
>present databases are just weak in numbers.
>
>Ken (a fellow mit alum but mtDNA U5b...)

Ken, thank you for the encouragement. I sent a message to the list
on May 29 that may not have reached everyone (I got an error message)
but it said:

At the moment my database, which goes back to the 1500s in the
Nods/Diesse area, does not have any MAYNOR/MAYNARDs. But it's not
everyone in that area, just BOTTERONs and their spouses. Common
surnames include CARRELL, CHATELAIN, CHIFFELLE/TCHIFFELLE, CLENIN,
DeVAUX, GIRARD, HUGUELET/HUGUENET, JUNOD, RACINE, ROLLIER, and SUNIER.

On second thought, "BOTTERONs and their spouses" might be everyone ...
my "boat person" Frederic Louis BOTTERON had three grandparents named
BOTTERON. (I don't know how they were related.) Frederic's wife's
surname was SUNIER, which was the same as Frederic's fourth grandparent.
You can see why I'm interested in the DNA of these folks. :-)

"Archaic" does sound interesting! I still have a lot to learn, but
I'm tempted to start a project as soon as I can recruit the minimum
number of participants.

Carol Botteron (that's French Swiss) <>
mtDNA J1b1

This thread: