Subject: Re: [DNA] Jefferson-Phoenician DNA
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:47:58 EDT

In a message dated 6/27/2005 12:16:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:

His haplogroup is widely thought to be O. His father's ancestral line
was from Wales.

I have done some investigation into this since it first came up on the list.
First, there is no documentation from Jefferson's oldest KNOWN ancestor to
the Welsh Jefferson. See his own autobiography stating both the Welsh oral
tradition and his own lack of knowledge beyond his grandfather.

_http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/writings/jefferson/autobiography.htm_
(http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/writings/jefferson/autobiography.htm)

Here is one tree which claims the connection between President Jefferson and
the Welsh John Jefferson.
_http://www.poetsvisions.com/genealogy/jefferson.htm_ (http://www.poetsvisions.com/genealogy/jefferson.htm) To my taste it's
a bit short of documentation, and, unless I read it incorrectly, has the
first Thomas Jefferson with two different fathers (John jefferson and Samuel
Jeaffreson). But it is interesting reading.

As to haplotype, I have done some preliminary investigations into this as
well. Malcolm Dodd posted an 8 marker haplotype from Korea that matched
Jefferson 7/8. I mined a sample from YHRD with 6 markers in common from MALAYASIA
which was a 6/6 match. While my "collection" of O haplotypes (O1, O2, O3)
is not exhaustive, I do have some preliminary observations.

1. 10/12 haplotypes have DYS19=15 [1=14, 1=16]
2. 9/9 which HAVE DYS426, have DYS=11
3. 11/12 have DYS388=12 [1=10]
4. 389-2 - 389-1 = 15 in 4, 16 in 6 and 17 in the remainder

Without more markers, we may never know what haplogroup Jefferson was, but
my money (as little as it is) would be on O.

Anne

This thread: