From: <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Study : Melungeon, Taliaferro, Bledsoe, etc
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:46:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, Listers: I am looking for information. My reference is packed away,
awaiting a move. Years ago I read that the Melungeons were a people
sharply localized to an area on/near the Kentucky-Tennessee border who
were thought to be Indian and/or African, but had a language that was
neither and eventually identified as Semitic. In/near the same area,
Phoenician artifacts had been discovered. I do not know how Taliaferro got
into the discussion, but my own 17th century Taliaferro ancestor was from
England (paper trail) and I always thought his ancestors were probably
16th century Huguenot immigrants to England from the South of France. His
name, originally Taliaferro, was changed to Tolliver when he lived in
Virginia (paper trail). Jack Goins' Thomas Bledsoe of NC was probably a
descendant of the Orange County, Va Bledsoes. Their ancestor William
Bledsoe was thought to be English. Is it possible the term "melungeon"
became a derogatory term and spread to refer to any people of mixed race
and that many "melungeons" were not really of the small ethnic group
mentioned above which had the Semitic language? DNA should help answer
this question. EGT

This thread: