From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Re: SNPs for Haplogroup I
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:55:33 -0600

> Glen, I agree with you if my hunch is correct that Ix is
> found NOT to be I1b, I1c, or even the long shot I1a. I
> think the logical order of things to do is first test Ix
> for P37 and then M223 if P37 is negative.
> If negative for both, then we get a critical mass of
> crowd together and start a riot at the University of
> Arizona demanding that the information necessary for
> producing the P38 test be shared with the rest of the
> scientific community, especially if P38 had been
> discovered using public monies received from federal
> research grants. Public universities are supposed to
> be places that serve the public interest.
>
> How does that game plan sound?

Works for me -- especially the riot at U. of Arizona. (Hey, I'm a Viking;
a day without looting, burning, and pillaging is like a day without
sunshine. ;-)

I certainly assume that the P38 sequence IS known, if it's been used in a
published paper, so I'd really like an explanation of why it's not
available. (Especially if, as you say, it was found with taxpayer money.)
I'm an engineer rather than a scientist myself, but I've been reading 'The
Seven Daughters of Eve', and Dr. Sykes points out something that I knew from
my father; one of the basic principles of sound scientific investigation is
to make the raw data available for examination by other researchers.

Glen

This thread: