Subject: Re: [DNA] P25 - R1b and >37 markers
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:37:33 EDT

In a message dated 6/27/2005 4:37:10 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:

Stephens men matched on 37 markers to Vaughans

I have a question for those R1bs who have tested more than 37 markers --
what's the highest level match you have above 37 markers? Inside your surname?
Outside your surname?

I have a group of WEBBs, 3 of whom have 38+ markers, and these three
mutations in the 43 markers they have in common. I have not compared them to SMGF
for matches at this level yet (part of the problem is the database search
functions -- SMGF for instance asks you to choose a company where you were tested
-- these have been tested at two different companies -- so how does one
enter that?).

In YSEARCH, the ONLY match I got up to a genetic distance of 6 for those who
tested 38+ markers was another WEBB. Ditto for those who had tested 37
markers, 36. At the level of those who had tested at least 35 markers I had (or my
test subject had), there were 14 matches up to a genetic distance of 6:
the other WEBB
a WILLIAMS (KAGFF) genetic distance 1 [differs on 464d, 576 & CDYa]
a POWELL (76RZU) genetic distance 3
a MEEK (4PDJ4) and a MANNING (CMSTS) at a genetic distance of 4
a BROWNE (5QYQM), a STREETER (JV8S2), a BLACKBURN (TBDP5), and a JENKINS
(KZ8MZ) at a genetic distance of 5
a STREETER (9XTW4), a DENNIS (78FZD), a MORRISON (AT2MQ), a STIRLING
(Z87M7), and a CROWLEY (SUHDP) at a genetic distance of 6.

These matches were ALL tested at FTDNA.

I encourage anyone who has tested more than 37 markers to put as many of
them into YSEARCH as YSEARCH accepts.

I would also suggest that those who have tested only at FTDNA think about
ordering additional markers either from DNAH or Biotix. I suspect some of
these 37/37 match problems will go away with more than 37 markers.

I would also like to see better statistics from the test providers on the
range and distribution of R1b alleles on the markers they test. If they can't
separate out the R1b, I'd settle just for the distribution of alleles for the
less commonly tested markers for their entire database.

Anne

This thread: