Subject: Re: [GEN-DNA] Genealogy Applications of DNA
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 02:54:25 EDT

In a message dated 6/27/2005 1:39:37 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:

the very same folks
who have shut out those of us who want to discuss topics other than R1B
mutations.

Gary,

A person (or group of folks) often shut themselves out and then cry someone
else closed the door.
1. POST!
2. Use the Header to indicate GEN-DNA or POP-DNA or whatever
3. Don't be surprised if there are a limited number of strictly Genealogy
posts. Most of the situations that can come up HAVE been discussed and the
Archives are rich in posts about
a. How many markers are enough?
b. What about a 25/25 match with another surname?
c. What if my participant has extra 464 markers (464e/f/g)?
d. What about a good paper trail but different haplogroups?
e. My participant has no matches -- what do I tell him?
f. ETC.

Personally, I'd love to see more genealogy based questions, but I doubt
there are an infinite number of them that aren't more properly dealt with on
Surname lists. I don't even mind repeating the basic ones to save someone a trip
through the Archives. But I can't make people dance their fingers over the
keys and ask the questions, so if you feel shut out, ask yourself what you
are part of the solution or part of the problem.

Anne

This thread: