From: "Garland Boyette" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Jefferson-Phoenician DNA
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:31:54 +0000

Russ:

Just a brief note about haplogroup G. This haplogroup is a bit mysterious,
and though the defining M201 mutation likely arose in the Middle East
(possibly in the region of today's Pakistan), it would be incorrectr to
refer to it as South Asian, as there is little there G today (though there
is some). It would be similar to referring to R1b as Central Asian since it
origins lie there, though R1b is much more common in Western Europe. The
most common geographical appelation attached to G is "North Caucasus" where
its frequency reaches as high as 70%. There is also a considerable amount
of G in Italy and Anatolia, so there would likely have been G among the
Phoenicians/Etruscans as well, in addition to E3b, J1, and J2 mentioned in
your earlier messages.

It's possible that you might have confused y haplogroup G with H, which is
much more common in the sub-continent, and appears in Europe largely among
the Roma who have origins in South Asia.

Garland
Administrator, The Boyett(e) DNA Project
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/boyette/
http://bellsouthpwp.net/B/o/Boyt-Boyett/Page.mht

>From: "Russ _" <>
>Subject: RE: [DNA] Jefferson-Phoenician DNA
>Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:00:55 -0400
>
>I think I remember reading somewhere that Jefferson's y-dna haplogroup is G
>(which would be South Asian), but I'm nut sure. Last night, after they had
>said Phoenician, I tried looking for it, and I could't find it. It was odd
>that they said Phoenician. Why didn't they just say Lebanon? Perhaps,
>they felt, Phoenician just sounded more exotic. Anyways, I would think
>Phoenician y-dna would probably be either E3b, J1 or J2.
>
>By the way, did anyone catch the Ultimate Survivor show that came on just
>before The Search for Adam show? I never knew about a Goliath fossil find.
> Is this homo sapien heidelbergensis?

Dont just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!