From: Thomas Krahn <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS#385 a,b
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:54:50 +0200

robert mclaren wrote:
> I've just gotten my DYS#385a,b results back from biotix. They are 13, 11 (high, low) by the Kittler method. I am a R1b (M269+). I did this out of curosity, since I didn't expect a high, low or a low, high to be significant for me.
>
> My other results are:
>
> DYS#461 11
> DYS#462 12
> DYS#463 24
> DYS#635 23
> DYS#643 10
>
> Right now I'm the only one from my project to be so tested. However, if (and when) I do get a 37/37 match, I will likely ask that person to expand to see if we still match.
>
> Thomas -- do we have any information on whether these are fast, medium, or slow mutators?

Dear Robert,

I don't know, if you refer to the DYS385(K) direction or to the
additional STR markers. The mutation frequency of an DYS385 inversion
seems to be higher than the average SNP mutation frequency, but it is
slower than the average STR mutation frequency. The inversion is really
a special kind of a recombination. There is a good discrimination in
between R1a and R1b because of an inversion of DYS385 direction. With
the knowledge of the specific a and b allele you can calculate the MRCA
more precisely, because you can follow the mutation events without guessing.

The other STR loci are all included in Whit's new haplogroup predictor.
https://home.comcast.net/~whitathey/hapest2.htm (remember the conversions!)
If you type them in one by one, you can see the specific discrimination
capacity. I would consider all of them as "medium range" mutators.

Best regards,

Thomas Krahn
--
Dipl.-Ing. Thomas Krahn biotix GmbH
Tel.: +49-331 / 2300 452 Hermannswerder Haus 14

This thread: