From: (Raymond Whritenour)
Subject: Re: [DNA] Indigenous - DNA - First Canadians
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:30:45 -0400

John:

This sounds like the same theory we were discussing on this list this
past December. It's all about the connection between the Solutrean
culture and the Clovis people; and, the existence of mtDNA haplogroup X
among the Ojibwe. (Sound familiar?) It is a VERY shaky argument, at
best. Our earlier discussion was engendered by a similar show on PBS, in
the NOVA series, called "Stone Age Explorers," or something like that.
David Wilson, of this list, wrote an excellent critique of this theory,
which you can find in the Archives, on 27 Dec 2004.

Ray Whritenour

-------------------------------

John Conley wrote:

As far as I can tell this program is not listed on the American
Discovery Channel. Given the huge amount of work that went into the show
it's only a matter of time that it shows up.

I think the outcome is that DNA testing is going to change the way
anthropoligists look at our origins, and it may be that things are far
different from how we know them now. It is possible that half the
'indigenous' or 'native' groups in North America share a common ancestry
with much of Europe.

This thread: