From: Mary Jo Neyer <>
Subject: etymology of barbarian
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:57:21 -0400

I am citing the Greek-English Lexicon by Liddell and Scott. Again, I
apologize for the use of Roman letters, but I think the use of Greek
letters would confuse people. On page 306 "barbaros" is defined as "
not speaking Greek." The Greeks referred to themselves as Hellenes.
Those who did not speak one of the dialects of their language were
called"barbaroi"
Remeber, much of Latin was derived from Greek. Almost any terminology
used in Latin and Greek has, most of the time, originated in the Greek.
"BARBA" in Latin does mean "beard". But the adjectival form is
"barbatus" not "barbarus".
Mary Jo

This thread: