From: adam bradford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] etymology of barbarian
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 11:13:03 -0400

The word "barbaros" is actually not grounded in any root, but is
onomatapaeic, with "bar bar bar" supposed to represent the
unintelligible sound foreigners made. It's almost as if we were to
call foreigners "Blahblahs". In Homer the word appears in its true
colors as "barbarophonos" - essentially, sounding like gibberish.