From: (David Faux)
Subject: Re: [DNA] Jefferson's paternal DNA
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:13:17 +0000

I simply don't understand all this speculation based on a few Y-STR makers. The supposed O can mask for R1b. The only way to tell is with a SNP test. Show me the DNA and I will give you an answer that can be put in the record books as something other than the ridiculous non - specific categorization of "Phonecian". One sample and I can end all the uncertainty that is only deepening the mystery. If anyone out there can obtain the name of a verified descendant and their consent to test, we will give the world a clear answer expressed as O3-M122 or whatever.

David F.

> The uncertainty about Jefferson's paternal line has long been
> documented. His socially upperclass background was through his mother,
> who was a Randolph, a family prominent in Virginia. Not much was known
> about his paternal line, and I had read speculations about his paternal
> line. Some genealogists thought his paternal line might be descended
> from an illegitimate man, explaining why his line was so difficult to
> trace. The news that there was a paper trail taking his paternal line
> back to medieval France, proclaimed on the National Georgraphic show,
> came as a big surprise to me. I had tried to do Google searches on his
> paternal line a few months ago, and never found anything definitive.
> Mary Jo

This thread: