Subject: Re: [DNA] Revealed: our friends the Romans did not invade Britain after all
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:56:03 EDT

Do not assume that Roman meant from Italy. A BBC programme recently
conducted an investigation into a body found in Bath which, from the various tests,
turned out to be from Syria. Anywhere in the Roman Empire and its satraps
could furnish people.
John Clare

Hi Joan:

I hate seeing intriguing questions like yours go
unanswered. I think the simple answer is "no," no one
has tried to correlate haplogroups and haplotypes with
historical Roman settlements and hence potential Roman
genetic contributions to the English gene pool.

Again, I'm wary of speculating what ancient
populations like the Romans were composed of in terms
of haplogroups, though I'm more comfortable looking at
historical groups than, say, going back to Neolithic
populations. So your probably looking at a spectrum
of haplogroups, with a strong emphasis on J2 & E3b, IF
(and this is a big "IF") contemporary Italian
populations reflect Roman ancestry to a great degree.

I don't know of Italian haplotype information that is
readily available - I would have liked to have seen
such info. included in Semino's study. Also, someone
doing a Roman genetic study in England would need to
also differentiate J & E haplotypes from those
occuring in the Eastern Mediterranean that may have
been part of the Neolithic movement into Europe. Some
of these Neolithic groups may have made it far as
England, and given the long history of ancient trade
and links between the British Isles and France/Iberia,
probably did make it to the British Isles eventually
as well.

Ellen Coffman

This thread: