From: proofer joan <>
Subject: Roman Britain DNA (and R1b contact from Iberia)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:16:50 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Lloyd,

I confess that I did not see your posting -- only a
message that Jim forwarded to the list (which I did
not read until you pointed it out).

IMHO, modern haplotype studies show that there is a
strong substrate of R1b along the Atlantic facade from
Iberia to Armorica to the Atlantic and Irish Sea
littoral of the British Isles.

Accepted theory is that this represents the
"background radiation" of an R1b "big bang" after the
last LGM.

I would like to propose that R1b also spread northward
from Iberia by maritime trade and migration starting
in the 4th millennium BC.

For instance, I find it of interest that R1b is strong
today in European zones where metal production was
located during the Bronze Age and later periods.

This would not rule out Roman mercenaries, recruited
in Iberia, from also contributing to the spread of
R1b, though it seems that the relatively-even British
R1b distribution points to an older source.

I was wondering if more exotic haplogroups in Britain,
such as J or E3b, could be the result of the Roman
occupation. These haplogroups appear to be more
localized in Britain, which could be explained by
local deployment of mercenary troops of high J/E3b
origin.

Since my earlier posting, I have found more on this
subject in earlier list postings and off-site.

The Roman Era does not impinge directly on my reseach,
but is, nonetheless, of broadbrush interest.

I have taken the liberty of copying the list since I
believe others may have constructive observations.

Sincerely, Joan

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com

This thread: