From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Basques (was: Spencer Wells about Jefferson's Haplogroup
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:35:14 -0700 (PDT)

Dienekes:

Great study. The information it provide on the
Basques confirmed what I have been suggesting for
months now. In particular, the idea that Basque
ancestry does not represent "pure" Paleolithic genetic
inheritance, but rather this group, like all European
populations, has undergone significant genetic change
and admixture over time. Unfortunately, the previous
studies have focused exclusively on Basque MtDNA.
This is the first suggestion I have seen in a study
indicating that the male lineages have also been
genetically impacted by admixture, demographic
processes and pronounced genetic drift. The study
also suggested prehistoric genetic links between
Basques (and Iberians in general) and North Africans.

Ellen Coffman

--- Dienekes Pontikos <>

http://hpgl.stanford.edu/publications/EJHG_2004_v12_p855.pdf