From: "ernest hurst" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Re: More OT - Mail clients
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 05:01:10 -0400

Hi Ken

Wish I knew how your's is set up - clicking on "reply" addressed this to
the list, not to you personally.

You're right about my being happy with earthlink. Early on after I retired
(6 years ago), I tried a couple of the "free" ISPs & e-mail, but not for
long. I settled on using MSN, because it was easy & I was familiar with it
- that's what I had at work. Then, after a year or two, I started getting
"hotmail spam" which seemed to increase exponentially every week After it
got up to 50+ spams a day, I decided to switch to Earthlink about 3 to 4
years ago & no more spam. Since then they've improved system & I've
"tightened" my settings. Nothing gets into my "in box" if name is not in my
address book. If its known spam it goes in "spam" folder, which I can read
or not (always not). If it's not in my book, but not known spam, it goes in
"suspect mail", which I do check whenever I see anything there, and sends a
message back to sender asking for verification.. A lot of "suspect mail" is
spam, some is from listers who don't pay attention to the "To" block before
sending their e-mail & occasionally from some legitimate correspondent who
isn't on my list - that's why I check "suspect mail".

I'm sure there are better services, but I don't have time, need or ability
to find them & definitely am not a computer guru. When I was still working,
I had 3 guys with CNE/MCSE reporting to me, who could experiment or fix
anything that I "blew up". Now it's just me, so I'm going to stick with
what I've become familiar with.

Now, we probably need to shut up about our e-mail choices, or Jim will shut
us up!

Regards

Ernie Hurst

This thread: