From: "Phil Goff" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b match in Fortineux Project?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 05:40:17 -0500

Anybody out there with R1b experience? My two participants match on 22
markers. The remaining three markers are one-step mismatches:

Kit 33862 Kit 34434

DYS390 23 24
DYS392 13 14
DYS464d 17 18

While we can't deduce the ancestral values for these three markers without a
third participant, it seems that any combination would mean that one
participant has a genetic distance of one and the other participant has a
genetic distance of two, which would seem reasonable for two men with a
common ancestor born in about 1650. For example, if the Jonas Fortineux
ancestral haplotype was 24.13.18 for these three markers, kit #33862 has a
genetic distance of two and kit #34434 has a genetic distance of one.

Is it reasonable to conclude that these two men, with variants of the same
surname and a paper trail to Jonas Fortineux (b ca1650) are in fact
genetically descended from Jonas Fortineux? Or is it a stretch to
"triangulate" when one is missing the third corner of a triangle. In this
case, might that third corner be the similar surname and the paper trail. I
would be grateful for anyone with some knowledge of R1b to offer an opinion.
Thanks,

Phil Goff