From: "Russ _" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Basques (was: Spencer Wells about Jefferson's Haplogroup
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:35:29 -0400

That was an interesting article. One question I have about the article is
its use of R1*. It seems it must be referring to R1b with it being so
predominant amongst the Basque (62%). I thought R1 was rare everywhere
except in Central Asia. Also, how does that astrisk distingish this
haplogroup from R1?