From: (David Faux)
Subject: Re: [DNA] Free the P38
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:33:10 +0000

Ken and Dennis:

Ok, this looks like a go. Using the same ferreting procedure, Jim has also located P30 and P40. It seems that we will be able to offer all of these.

I still don't understand why researchers should be made to go through hoops like this. Jim had to do the same thing to finally "discover" P39. A waste of time as each researcher has to go trolling for SNPs and redicover what others have snagged by sheer brute force.

(A very frustrated) David F.

> The SNP indicated by Dennis does show a cluster of "C" states (I assume they
> are the derived state) around the YCC haplotypes which are in the haplogroup
> I location in Butler's list of example haplotypes. That is what would be
> expected for P38; the I1a and I1b haplotypes would show the derived state.
> The I1c haplotype which I know is in that Butler list (but obviously not so
> labeled) would not show the P38 derived state; that is connected to the
> reason FTDNA has renamed that haplogroup I2. But strangely, just as Dennis
> posted his message, all his sites are down, at least from my internet
> connection.
>
> Ken

This thread: