From: "ljcrain1" <>
Subject: mtDNA test/Direct Female line Native American Ancestry
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:06:05 -0500

Melinda; You are quite correct that if your 7 X generation ancestress was a fullblood Indian, with no unsuspected European genetic input, your cousin's test would reveal the mtDNA type and offer solid proof. The Indian, or Native American, if you prefer, mtDNA haplogroups are A, B, C, D, or the very rare X. X is also found in Eurasian locales.

You could learn this for as little as $99. by going through the National Geographic Geno Project. If you decided later to transfer into an existing project at FTDNA you could do so for a $15.00 fee.

Janet Crain
Member ISOGG
International Society of Genetic Genealogy
http://www.GenPage.com/genealogyDNA.html

I have a cousin who is a direct female descendant (seven generations down)
from a common female ancestress who is strongly suspected of being Native
American (the famous ?Cherokee Princess? story). Much of our traditional
paper genealogy supports/but doesn?t absolutely prove, this.

It appears to me that she could take the basic mtDNA test from one of many
testing companies to prove this. I have offered to pay, since although we
are cousins, she is from straight female descent, and my lines comes from
one of the sons, give generations back, of our common ancestor.

Am I correct in thinking this? I sent her info from website of the testing
company I am thinking of using. Are they any good ?lay? websites that show
examples of this? I am familiar with Y-dna testing, but his is my first
foray into the mtDNA arena.

Thanks for any input.

This thread: