From: Doug McDonald <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Chimps and DNA
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:16:30 -0500

Robert Davenport wrote:

> I can't find this article.
>
> However, it has me wondering, do chimps have the same Y chromosone as we
> do?

no, but I don't have the same one as you

There is very roughly 3% difference between us and chimps.

> Do they have their own Haplogroup?

You mean haplogroups. Enough of them have not been surveyed to be
really sure of making a reliable haplogroup tree within the chimp
population.

As to STRs,
they have, mostly but not entirely, the same STR regions as people.
However, they often vary wildly in allele counts from people. Some
markers that are quite variable in people are fixed in chimps and
vice versa. In general, the fixed regions have very low allele counts.

Doug McDonald

This thread: