From: "CJMax" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Scot R1a - Moving right along
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 10:57:42 -0500

Ken,

I think that we're probably thinking much along the same lines. My
references to travel should have been couched to read "some". Human nature
is such that most people marry someone within 2.4 miles of their home. This
number has remained fairly constant up to the last 50 years except in the
U.S. where the government stepped in and encouraged corporations to move
their employees around the country, effectively dispersing many families
across the nation. The government's objective was to expose people to
customs/thoughts from other regions of the U.S.. Two World Wars had moulded
that policy. Especially during WWI there was significant "in fighting" and
negative competition among corps that were "regional" in their makeup. This
reduced the effectiveness of the units as a fighting force.

I had to chuckle a wee bit at the surprise about the interest of the Scots
in their genealogy. It may very well be explained be several factors.
First and foremost are the "Clan"/ "Family" associations in Scotland.
They've been in existance, formally and informally for a thousand years or
more and are a great source of individual pride that is nurtured very
carefully by various clan and Scottish associations, including many
suppported by the Scottish government. They are a significant source of
revenues for tourism and private business. I'm not aware of any such
"movement" in other countries over such a long period of time.

The second factor could be called the "rebound effect". After 1745 and
Scotland's fruitless attempt at independence, the English government did its
best to break up clan societies and the associated spirit of the clans. My
own family from the Borders went to Ireland as part of the "resettlement
encouragement" efforts of the English government (perceived as the English
government) as did thousands of other Scottish families. Many didn't stay
long, as in our case. They moved on quickly to North America. Again, they
were political pawns. There they encountered much the same "feelings" of
discrimination against the Scots by the English in Upper Canada and by
others in the States, but had plenty of incentives that allowed them to own
property - a very important "incentive". As I look at the land ownership
records where my gggrandfather settled in Upper Canada I can see within a
stone's throw many of his friends from Ireland of Scottish descent - names
such as Anderson, Muir, McQueen, Reid, Wylie, and even more Johnstons, etc..
They all stuck together. Unfortunately, as many of us from this day have
found, records are very difficult to come by for this group. As Upper
Canada was part of the British Empire, no passenger lists were required by
ships docking there. In Ireland most of the government records were
destroyed in the 1920's. To add to the genealogy difficulties, most of the
early homesteads were built of wood - there were lots of great trees to
build with available in Upper Canada and the U.S. so it became the primary
building material. The downside is that wood is flammable. Homestead fires
were a common occurance. Our family homestead was no exception and burned
to the ground in the late 1800's. All of our family photographs, legal
documents, the family Bible, and letters were lost. To complicate matters
the 1841 and 1851 censuses for the township were destroyed too.

So, many of us of Scottish descent who would like to be able to find a paper
connection back to Ireland and Scotland are finding it to be almost
impossible or prohibitively expensive (the Irish have milked the American
genealogy market ruthlessly for decades). Ergo, when Y-DNA became available
many of us jumped on the bandwagon - we're also a practical people. Most of
us know that it won't "find" long lost relatives, but then along comes a
situation like mine - a somewhat distinctive I2 (or whatever I'm going to
end up as - from what I read here the other day someone is questioning this
haplogroups designation). I've found a very, very close match within the
Johnston name, and they have a very similar oral family history. We've
exchanged an older family photograph and one could pass easily for the
other. No doubt between the two of us we will find that paper trail
somewhere, somehow, sometime. It has taken me the better part of 26 years
to trace my family, and I've still not found our connection in Ireland. I'm
much closer, but still not there. Actually, I'm not as close to an Irish
connection as I am to a Scottish connection. I have located a marriage
between a Johnston (my great uncle) and a Johnstone family (said to be
cousins), and the Johnstone family has a photograph of an ancestor from
Anan, Scotland - that's much more than we've got from Ireland. Now if I can
just trace a male descendent of that family and get him to do a Y-DNA
test...

So, the wee Scot quest continues...

Cliff. Johnston
"May the best you've ever seen,