From: "Cynthia Aucoin" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: Jefferson-Hemings questions
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:02:42 -0400

Glen - I am especially proud of one of my ancestors who served with the 6th U.S.C.T. and died in the service of our country at Dutch Gap, Virginia. He was a 1LT from Illinois. My family may belong to DAR, Mayflower and other groups, but his service in the U.S.C.T. is tops. He volunteered and then paid the price.

Cindy

<Glen wrote>:

I have a particular interest in the American Civil War (I'm a member of Sons
of Union Veterans), and I've noticed something of interest. The surname
Todd, which is well established to be Old English/Old Norse and to come from
the British Isles, shows up twice in USCT (United States Colored Troops)
units from Massachusetts. (My g-g-grandfather served in a Massachusetts
unit, the 48th Massachusetts Infantry, since we're basically a Massachusetts
family.) I have often wondered if these were actually genetic relatives,
or simply cases of the surname being acquired through the more usual
mechanism.

This thread: