From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] The "No I1b in Scandinavia" Mystery
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 07:16:01 -0600

Yes, "a R1a came to NE Europe first" scenario could explain this, but is not
the general view that I1b was in Europe earlier than R1a. This prevailing
view is that "I" wintered in southern refugia during the last glacial
maximum, including the Balkan area for I1b specifically if the subclades of
I had already been differentiated by then. And is not the arrival of R1a
thought to be post-LGM?

I would really like to solve this riddle internally with only the dna
evidence. So what kind of evidence would we seek in the dna data which
could differentiate between this early arrival of R1a everywhere we
presently see it, and the view that I1b spread first in Eastern Europe, that
R1a in Eastern Europe was spread to its present territory by the 500 A.D.
spread of the Slavs out of their originally confined areas around the Pripet
marshes.

And in any case the spread of R1a into Scandinavia without any I1b with it
could not have occured too early. The populating of that area was delayed
substantially from that of the rest of Europe by the lingering Ice.

Ken