From: "Andrew and Inge" <>
Subject: A bit more on Norse
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:09:41 +0200

Dear Stella

The Norwegian dictionary is not necessarily relevent to correct English
usage, and the Webster entry seems wrong to me. I have never heard the term
Norse being used to mean Norwegian simply. Just to take a semi-official
cases:
"Old Norse" - the language which preceded Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian and
all their dialects.
"Norse deities or religion or mythology" The ancient religion of the Swedes,
Danes, Norwegians etc.

These are all historical uses, but in fact Norse is NOT a word normally used
to refer to modern people.

In modern times, for example in politics, the term Nordic is often used when
people are speaking about the region. For example there is a Nordic Council.

Best Regards
Andrew Lancaster

Subject: Re: [DNA] Meaning of the term 'Norse'
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:57:11 EDT

My Norwegian dictionary gives Norsk as Norwegian. Webster lists Norsk as
Norse and then defines Norse as first Norwegian, then Western Scandinavian.
the Norwegian the term probably means only Norwegian. The rest of us seem to
have added a broader meaning.
Stella

This thread: