From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Basics on Ethnic Groups - Celts, Scots, Picts
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:24:26 -0700 (PDT)

Ken:

One of the goals of my Shetland Project is to locate evidence to support or refute (well fail to support) the survival of the Picts in the Northern Isles of Scotland using Y and mtDNA evidence. We believe that we have found what we are looking for (despite the prevailing "they put them all to the sword" viewpoint) and it will provide grist for a subsequent publication.

David Faux.

Ken Nordtvedt <> wrote:
Greg, Finally found something I can probably agree with..... The Pict
genes, whatever they may be, including the ydna and mtdna most likely
survived whatever setbacks the Picts experienced in history, and their genes
are dispersed around in the present day population of the people with
origins in Scotland in the past several centuries. Some of the tallest
tales of pseudo-history and legends are the stories about certain peoples
being totally wiped out. I believe that is very difficult to do and
probably rarely has been achieved. (Please; no one accuse me of being one
who denies holocausts. The Turks tried to eliminate the Armenians, while
Hitler and company tried to eliminate the Jews, and I'm not sure who Stalin
may have tried to wipe out.)

As far as ydna and mtdna, you don't have to worry about them getting "mixed
up" or not. They preserve themselves other than occasional mutations. If
the Picts had any special motifs about their y or mt dnas they should be
preserved in the pure paternal or maternal line descendant populations of
today. 1000 years is not very long in gene time.

This thread: