From: "Peter A. Kincaid" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Haplogroup mixing effect on mutation rates
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:12:54 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Chandler" <>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 5:34 PM

> Peter wrote:
>> most part DNA between individuals are mostly the same but we have
>> haplogroups because differences do occur as lines get separated for
>> a long period of time.
>
> That's the wrong way to look at it. The fact is that male lines of
> descent are separated *forever* as soon as they split (i.e., when a
> man has more than one son). The "real" reason we have haplogroups
> is that some male lines happened to be very successful over many
> millennia, thus giving us a chance to discover the markers that were
> originally peculiar to one person each.

Thanks John for your thoughts. You know that this is the wrong
way to look at it but this is the perception given by those companies
marketing this stuff. The label certain haplogroups Viking DNA
or Jewish DNA suggesting a racial origin when, as you note, it
is really the mutation profile of a successful founder eons ago. As
I read what you are saying, it has nothing to do with the original
race of an area but the DNA of one person who eventually came
to dominate in that area.

Peter

This thread: