Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: Another set of extended DYS464, DYF385S1, DYF399S1 results
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:42:51 EDT

People may accept certain statistics in terms of error rates. However,
try telling this to someone who gets results that indicate they are not
part of the family that they thought they were. This is as personal as it
can get and if an error occurred it is not acceptable. What is acceptable
is that testing companies, knowing that errors do occur, have a policy of
rechecking results without questions if a person contacts them with
concerns about an error that may have suggested a non paternity event.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for this comment. I feel the exact same way. I doubt that any of
the members of this list would want to receive a bogus result which puts them
in a bogus early ancestral place. Some of us really are depending very heavily
on accurate results. When a result "looks weird" seems to me maybe it should
be retested at least once. If you are the lone fish in the pond being tested
for your ancestry and there aren't any other same surname male fishes in your
family around to be tested then it is like you say above "People may accept
certain statistics in terms of error rates. However, try telling this to someone
who gets results that indicate they are not part of the family that they
thought they were."

The folks who are in the 1% error group may not be real happy to realize
that they have been given bogus results.

Ed

This thread: