Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: Another set of extended DYS464, DYF385S1, DYF399S1 results
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:18:18 EDT

Bill and Peter,

Your last couple of messages brings me the novice but a member of a good
surname genealogy group for my maternal line to a couple of questions and mabye
some concern on results. I need some help now with interpertation of results
for 25 and 37 marker results for 4 Y tested males which includes one SNP test
that came out R1b just like the "estimated" did for them. For two of these
males, a known common male ancestor born in 1801 exists and then two sons of that
male had separate branched lines in which two of todays males.. one in each
of those lines were tested at 25 markers. Our novice dna group and experienced
paper genealogy group was surprised that we saw only a 23 of 25 match in the
comparison of those two. What does this suggest to you or others on the list?
The 3rd male tested is in a known genealogical branch to a common known
ancestor born in 1761. He also had a 23/25 comparison to the others but we see
the varying values at different DYS ID's. These are all posted at ysearch. The
last male matched perfectly to one of the others.. the 3rd one who has ancestry
branching away in 1761. This last one shows his ancestry genealogically back
to Scotland in 1700's. The other 3 are dead-ended in genealogical research at
the 1761 date not knowing country of our Stephens immigrant after years of
document searching online and on site at local courthouses and libraries
etc...and at Archives. Some documents were burned in Civil War etc.. and some may not
exist that would prove earlier lineage. So presto we deceded to use the dna
route to try to find out our earlier ancestry location. Family tradition says we
are Scots-Irish as does one of the males genealogy we match to but with not
rock solid documentation (in fact not well enough documentation). Other
research seems to point pretty strongly to England or Wales etc..
Thus our research group is looking for a dna route now or in the future
that may help us at least know more than we are likely from Western Europe early.
We hear that R1b subclade tests may not so far in the future may be available
and we are hopeful of that and that they will provide more useful inf that
just R1b designation does.

P.S. I should have used a better word than "bogus" in the earlier message I
sent maybe like "incorrect" instead.

Ed

This thread: