From: "David Wilson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] observations on some new data
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 06:42:08 -0700

That haplotype almost certainly belongs to what we have been calling the
"Irish" variety of R1b. When you have 390=25, 385b=13 and 392=14, the
combination of those three values is a very strong indicator.

A couple of the values in this haplotype are off the modal for the Irish
group, but not so far as to question the assignment. You have DYS 391=10
rather than 11, but that's OK. You also have DYS389i,ii at 14,30 instead of
13,29. But that is also within the realm of possibility for the "Irish"
group as well.

That nickname doesn't mean every R1b in Ireland has this haplotype. About
8-10 percent of all Irish R1b haplotypes are AMH, and the "Irish" variety
seems to come in at about half that. It got its name because it seems to
have originated in Ireland, where it still appears to found in the highest
concentration. It is also found significantly in Scotland, less so
elsewhere. It's almost invisible on the continent.

David Wilson