From: "John McEwan" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Hello group.. Need some feed back. please
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 00:16:24 +1300

Dear Pat

I don't know if I can help. I checked out the 37 STR haplotype you
provided in Ysearch. It matches with a group calls "Isles" I1c
haplogroup and there is a single Ysearch Spencer listed there Ysearch ID
JGNPP, origin listed as from Tennessee. I assume this is the same
individual.

The cluster can be viewed at:

http://www.geocities.com/mcewanjc/37strallhapigv2.pdf

Magnify it to about 800% and your Spencer should be third from top in
that group.

Ken Nordtvelt is better placed to comment about the likely
(pre)historical origins of the Isles haplogroup.

Regards the McWhirter connection... Well if you examine Ysearch you do
get a lot of perfect matches to McWhirter's, some from Tennessee, but
they have only been scored at 12 markers. To be a believable
non-paternity event you would need at least a 35/37 or better match. A
Gillespie Ysearch ID MXBRC is only 3 markers distant from the Spencer at
37 markers and is also in the same "Isles" group. Using default
parameters in Dean McGee's calculator suggests they may have a common
ancestor ~350 years ago. In reality this time could differ markedly
perhaps up to 1000 yrs ago.

This gets to the Spencer name itself. In 1881 there were 27,326 Spencers
in Britain, most were in Yorkshire West Riding or Lancashire (~10,000)
and most of the balance were in surrounding counties. Such a common
name, even if geographically clustered is bound to have a number of
"strands" many of them quite old.

What to do in your case? Well Ken can tell you something about the
likely history of the Isles I1c haplogroup, but regards more recent
history I would be tempted to get one of the Tennessee McWhirter's to
expand to a 37 marker test, if they really did live next door. If they
don't match closely at 37 markers then that is one nagging option closed
off.

As an aside the McWhirter's had quite a concentration in Ayrshire,
Scotland in 1881 (719 in total) and you can read more about them at
http://members.aol.com/quinmarti/homepage/mcwgen.htm

Hope this has been of some use

John McEwan