From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] S21+ extends from 37 markers to 48 markers.
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 14:27:53 -0700 (PDT)

wrote:

<snipped>
I would imagine the primers for SNPs in the Marligen multiplex tests might
be different from the stand alone primers used by FTDNA and EA for similar
reasons.

Gareth

Gareth, Ken et al.:

That is indeed true Gareth. Our multiplex uses a "hypbridization" process and a type of "colored marker bead" detected by lasers. All of our other SNP testing is done via "direct sequencing" where the geneticist actually views a string of ancestral DNA in the primer section of interest, and the customer's DNA. Although the computer program "Sequencher" will call the nucleotide base for each at the consensus point for the SNP being explored, the geneticist always looks to make sure that the change is visible in the actual string of letters such as ATT*C*GTC (ancestral) versus ATT*G*GTC (derived) in a string of about 200 base pairs. Also by checking each location in the 200, it will be possible to see a "family SNP" and report this back to a customer. It should then be evident why the latter type of test and the first will not have the same bottom line so it is up to the customer to chose what it right for them - we offer both options.

David.

Dr. David K.W. Faux
President
Ethnoancestry USA, Inc.