From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Seperating Danish from Anglo-Saxon?
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:18:58 -0600

Russell, All I can say is we will see? If I were to be happy with
expecting what will happen in the gene counts from the historic stories,
there would be little sense in counting the haplotypes.

The settlement of the "Danelaw" by Danish Vikings (circa 800 A.D.) was a
quite distinct thing from the original settlements by Germanic tribes
beginning roughly 450 A.D. These immigration flows were separated by
centuries, and I suspect the cultures of those immigrations were different,
so perhaps the peoples? The naming patterns for hamlets and towns were
certainly different.

I don't how much was known about "Old Danish" 1500 years ago; perhaps a
runic inscription here and there? But by the time of the establishment of
the Danelaw they did talk about a Danish "tonque" as distinct from the
AngloSaxon language, though inter-language intelligibility was probably
fairly good as English in the end has mixed many root words from both
sources.

But the bottom line to me is that I am doing genetic genealogy precisely to
try to collect and organize hard science data to independently check and
shed light on the quasi-historic and saga accounts, regardless of how the
chips fall.

Ken