From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] "Missing Data" in the SMGF Y-chromosome database.
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:12:49 +1300

Ken,

Tout of curiosity I checked a R1b haplotype which I came across some time
ago, which I believe traces to the West Coast of Ireland [includes
24/10/29/29/25]. I suspect this may well be an "indigenous" Irish
haplotype. Although I searched under DYS463=25, the primary hit from the
West Coast of Ireland interestingly had no data for DYS463, but as I recall
from memory, I suspected it might be 23 based on what appeared to be related
families. The results for this were 12.1% missing DYS463. Of the results
with European origins given, all came from Ireland.

I think you have to be a bit careful when comparing 36 markers results with
reduced haplotypes. For example, if I compared the 8 slowest mutating
marker AMH haplotype, I would no doubt get more than 150 hits which matched
8/8, before any 7/7 haplotypes with a missing marker fed into the results.
I think to make a meaningful comparison, we need to compare 36 marker apples
with 36 marker apples. Even comparing 36 markers, there are a few quirks in
the system which can cause minor distortions, but over all, I don't think
they impact too much.

I my project, I have one haplotype which is similar to what some have
described as Fresian. I found it interesting that matches to this haplotype
only had 1.3% missing DYS463, when I was finding typically over 10% for
haplotypes tracing to England and Ireland. Perhaps I should check out a few
more Continental R1bs, to see what is happening. It has also surprised me
that although there are a steady trickle of haplotypes from Germany in the
haplotypes I have been checking, I have not yet found a single missing
DYS463 from Germany, and as far as I can recall, only 1 from Denmark. But
curiously, there are a small number of missing DYS463 from Spain/ Portugal
cropping up from time to time. (It has puzzled me that although my Y-DNA
has been in England probably for much more than 500 years, I seem to get
some of the closer matches to me in Spain/ Portugal.) There was 1 from
Romania.

John.