From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Any More M284 (I1c1) Results?
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:53:06 -0600

In awhile Ethnoancestry will have P78 and P95 SNPs available to test, and
from seeing the 43 marker extended haplotypes for dna which has been found
positive/derived for these SNPs, I believe they will be located within
Continental I1c and hence split it. So when those tests are available I
would heartily recommend doing those two tests.
In the meantime I believe you should do the M284 SNP test. M284+ indicates
subclade I1c1. The first "Isles" I1c which has reported in with a M284 test
has been found positive or derived and hence I1c1. A "Roots" I1c (defined
by unusual 19,19 at YCAIIa,b) most likely of Iberian origination has been
found negative or ancestral for M284.

It would be useful to confirm a reasonable suspicion that Continental I1c
will also be negative or ancestral for M284. An academic paper by Rootsi et
al tested a modest number of Eastern Europe, Southern Europe and
Scandinavian I1c for M284 and found none positive or derived. But they
tested none from the British Isles and only a couple from Germany or
Netherlands.

If your M284 turns out negative (which would be my guess) for the few extra
dollars (no setup fee) you could finish things off with a M223 test to
confirm your I1c membership and wait for the P78 and P95 tests.
But for your solid I1c haplotype (and most probably Continental) I think the
most interesting tests will be the those future P78 and P95 tests. I will
be working hard to line up a good representative group of I1c haplotype
folks to do these tests, as well as finishing the work to map out who's in
and who's out with M284.

I1c is shaping up as a haplgroup in which the richness of clustering within
the extended haplotypes may be matched to an interesting collection of SNPs
which up to recently had existed but were not fleshed out as to what they
signify --- but that is changing fast.

Ken