From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS464 Results (was Any More M284 (I1c1) Results?)
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 05:31:56 -0700 (PDT)

You probably are DYS464=14-14-14-14. When all values are the same, there is just one peak for DYS464 on the electropherogram. Firm analysts cannot actually tell if there are four or any other number.A similar problem occurs when there are two peaks of equal height, such as 15, 17. Four alleles occur most of the time, so the extended method assumes there are four. If the heights are not the same, the analyst uses the 464 peak height ratios to determine the actual number of alleles.

The conservative method reports only the peaks observed. There is a tradeoff between accuracy and information.

There was some discussion earlier about using peak height ratios of other markers in the same color to clear up the problem, but I don't know if it is a workable technique.

The DNA-Fingerprint site has some electropherograms for DYS464.

http://www.dna-fingerprint.com

Bob Stafford

Aquilla King <> wrote:
seems I only have 40 markers from the 43 marker test I
ordered). I am new to this but arger to learn more.

This thread: