From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Possible J2 from Yetholm Scotland (Borders region) question
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:35:43 -0400

Hi Tim,

Oh dear -- an extremely interesting question, which could not come at a
worse time, as I desperately need to finish writing a paper right now.
Please give me a few days to answer more fully, OK?

The answer to the basic question is yes, this is an excellent example of
a J2 haplotype, a very nice one. :-) Later I must remember to add
it to my database of J haplotypes, and see where it fits in.

Of all the studies I have read on the J2 haplogroup, I have seen few if
any that indicate that J2 is particularly found in people of Romany
extraction. There have been a number of studies on the Roma people of
Europe, but they have focused on the larger populations in Eastern
Europe. The British Travelers would be fascinating to study. Has
anyone on the list seen a DNA study that includes them?

I have unsuccessfully tried several times to interest the list in the
question of Roma ancestry, and I don't know why this is not a more
popular topic. Most British J2s focus on the Romans as possible
ancestors.

There is a Y haplogroup, H, which is the one thought to have been at the
core of the Roma migration from northwest India to Europe. However,
members of other Y haplogroups are also found among them.

>In searching the web today I found that J2 is extremely rare in the United
>Kingdom, being generally restricted to more recent immigrants and
>particularly people with gypsy backgrounds.

Could you please indicate exactly where you found this purported link
between the British gypsies and J2? Was it a scientific source, or more
speculative in nature?

Again, please allow more time for me to answer any further queries.

Bonnie

This thread: