Subject: Re:S21 Ancestral negative (was [DNA] I1a1 & DYS462)
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 07:02:29 EDT

In a message dated 10/23/2005 4:18:03 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
writes:

"Ancestral" is the original state. "Derived" is the more recent, changed
state.
If you mutate from A to B, "A" is ancestral, "B" is derived.

I think I'm confused about the results of the R1b sub-group testing.

Here's a quote from the Ethnoancestry page
_http://www.ethnoancestry.com/Prod09.html_ (http://www.ethnoancestry.com/Prod09.html)
"Note that once the data has been collected it may be as informative to be
negative (ancestral) on this marker as it is to be positive (derived)."

Another quote "Currently only three people who are S21 derived or
positive..."

Maybe it's the way the results are reported that is throwing me:

S21 ancestral negative

Seems as if S21 negative (ancestral) and S21 positive (derived) makes more
sense as I read the rest of the site. The above sounds as if one is negative
for S21 ancestral and therefore derived, when my impression is that if one is
negative for S21 one is ancestral instead of derived.. Or do I have this
totally whacked in my mind? If so would David or someone please help me out of
this blackhole I fell into?

Anne

This thread: