Subject: Re: [DNA] DYS 464 [infertility]
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:55:18 EDT

In a message dated 10/28/05 1:21:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> Concerning infertility and deletions at DYS 464:
>
> Do not be so confident that all men with deletions at DYS 464 are
> infertile.
>
> I have only 15c and 16c at DYS 464, and I have two children that I am sure
>
> I fathered.

The question of infertility only arises in cases where DYS464 doesn't give
you any readings at all, which may occur in about one out of two thousand men or
less. That can happen when a big chunk of the Y chromosome is deleted (from
memory, about 3 million bases). This chunk includes some genes involved in
sperm production as well as DYS464, which doesn't code for anything itself. There
are multiple copies of the genes, so most men have backups -- if one copy is
missing or defective, you can use another copy. But if all of the backups are
missing, that is a known cause of infertility.

Ann Turner

This thread: