From: "Phil Goff" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 17:32:03 -0600

Denise,

I missed your original post, but will add my two cents here. There is an
African American DNA Research Forum at at the afrigeneas.com website. I have
the flipside of your friend's situation. I have posted to the site
(http://afrigeneas.com/forum-dna/index.cgi?read=118) in hopes of helping
someone who descends from enslaved people of African descent. These slaves
probably started out life in Calvert Co., MD, moved to Hardy Co., VA and
finally to Clark Co., KY. I think it would be next to impossible for a
descendant of these people to track their movements. As such, I felt a
desire to help their descendants reclaim the identity of their ancestors. So
far I've not had any takers, but your friend may want to check out that
website. I would urge anyone who has historical information about enslaved
persons to share it in whatever forum you think is best. Descendants of
these slaves have a difficult-to-impossible job in tracing their family
trees. I wish you friend good luck in this quest. Thanks,

Phil Goff
The Four Goff Brothers of Western Virginia site:
http://home.comcast.net/~philgoff/GoffBook.htm