From: Gary Lee <>
Subject: H4 and other potential marker discrepencies -- please advise & help a newbie
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:19:55 -0800 (PST)

*** note - this is the second time I've sent this, although this has some additional edits. The first appears to have not made today's posts ***

With regards to the flurry of postings around H4 test result comparisons from RG and FTDNA, this is frustrating!!

As a relative newbie to DNA testing for genealogy, the information disclosed over the past few days on H4 discrepencies between testing labs is disturbing. If labs are not more explicit in stating testing methods, I struggle to understand how anyone who is not a geneticist can compare results coming from different testing organizations.

As I've stated to others in the Lee surname projects on Relative Genetics and Family Tree DNA, I don't think any of us should have to be genetics scientists to use DNA as a forensic tool to include or exclude families in our further detailed research anymore than we should have to be electrical or software engineers to use computers to source and house our research data.

I am currently trying to make sense of Lee research data from various testing companies. I believe I have my caluclations refined to match FTDNA given that my results for genetic distance numbers match those given from their www site.

I would GREATLY appreciate it if the knowledgable readers of this distribution list could provide the following to me. I promise to use the knowledge to help others:

a) from this list I now know that H4 is reported differently by FTDNA dna others. What other markers suffer the same fate? I see below that 19 may have some differences as well? I've seen Charles Kerchner's lab merge document and this is a good start, but I'm trying to catch all issues here.

b) is there a summary document anywhere showing how genetic distance is calculated for each marker? Again, I believe I have most of this figured out, but would love to make sure.

Many thanks to all of you.

And to any readers of this list who work for Relative Genetics or Family Tree DNA -- you should really take this to heart. The ability to compare data between tests is a critical aspect of these tools. I don't expect DNA to be the 'end all' to research, but it is an important tool to focus research in the right direction. If we, the great 'unwashed' in the science of DNA, can fork out what I consider a decent sum of money for the tests, each of your companies can start putting some effort into testing standards and full disclosure of any differences.

Sincerely,
Gary Lee

This thread: