From: "D. Wilson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Irish and Scottish and Frisian R1b - Another Question
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:59:32 -0800

Jim, that's the second time in a week I have seen a haplotype with 385b=16, 458=18, and 456/570 both = 15. The other is from a person who contacted me off list. Is this a trend?

Yes, R1b. It is a virtual certainty that your P25 SNP test (that's the one FTDNA uses instead of M269) will come back positive.

You have an unusual haplotype that lies at some distance from the modal values for R1b. You are correct that this is not close to what we have called the Irish and Scot varieties of R1b, but remember that R1b haplotypes in both Ireland and Scotland can show great variation. The nicknames apply only to definable clusters within the great variety. It is definitely possible to be Irish or Scot or Scots-Irish without belonging to one of the nicknamed varieties of R1b.

Here's a link to a comparison of your haplotype with R1b modal:

http://www.ysearch.org/research_comparative.asp?uid=&vallist=c7bed%2C+ay8uh%2C

If that is too long and breaks, here's a condensed version:

http://tinyurl.com/dtpfn

The genetic distance is 13, which is big. The most interesting markers to me are the ones where you differ by two steps rather than just one: 385b and 570. If you'd like to see how frequently these alleles appear in R1b, you can check out Whit Athey's Super-WAMH summary page:

http://worldfamilies.net/Super%20Western%20Atlantic%20Modal%20Haplotype.htm

(Because of different sample sizes, Whit's determined modal value for CDYa differs from the one I put in Ysearch record C7BED. The difference is irrelevant in this context.)

Notice that your values for 385b and 570 are rare rare rare -- one percent and one-third percent respectively. It's tough to generalize about such an unusual pattern.

You might want to look at this comparison for a moment and see if you think there is anything there to investigate further. The genetic distance is still great, but you match on some unusual values.

http://www.ysearch.org/research_comparative.asp?uid=&vallist=AY8UH%2C+CNXBE%2C+D9QFG

Again, a condensed version of the same thing:

http://tinyurl.com/au7su

David Wilson