From: <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] German Ancestry at Philadelphia early
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:44:06 -0500 (EST)

For all you PA Dutch, keep in mind we were subject to discrimination by
the English because of our origins and language. Even Wm Penn, who was the
only Colonial Governor who agreed to take the "duch", said they had to go
to the frontier and "leave us English alone". The frontier at that time
was about 60 miles from Philadelphia --- hence PA Dutch settled the arc
from Allentown, Reading, York and Lancaster. Many names were Anglicized on
arrival and/or changed later to conform to English standards and/or to
escape discrimination. Avoiding discrimination is the reason today that I
am not bilingual. My greatgrandparents refused to teach PA Dutch to my
grandfather because they felt the discrimination. Such a loss! Ed
Troutman, Fort Worth, TX, from Wilhelm Trautmann, settled near Reading
1752.